Andre Levy a.k.a. Zhion is a Brazilian illustrator, art director and visual artist based in Frankfurt, Germany. With over 13 years experience in advertising and communication design, he combines structure, simplicity, pop references and a cheeky sense of humour in iconic visuals filled with layered meaning.
With a strong digital background and expertise both in vector and pixel-based illustration, Zhion expands the possibilities to communicate complex messages by constantly experimenting with new media and techniques. Lowbrow, surrealism, pop art, comics and urban art movements are some of his biggest aesthetic influences.
As a visual artist, his pieces are often provocative, approaching themes such as sexuality, gender, religion and social conventions with a bold point of view. His main motivation is to encourage questioning and critic thinking towards stablished concepts. Zhion integrates the queer art collective topbtm (NSFW).
Besides having developed visuals and ideas for big brands like Nescafé, Coca-Cola and Sony, Zhion is also known for his personal project Tales You Lose, in which he paints famous characters from pop culture over the faces of kings and presidents on coins.
Interviews and Online Articles
• Interview with Illustrator Andre Levy - Creative Digest, 2016
• Savvy Miniaturist Mints Pop Culture Portraits on Coins - Hyperallergic, 2014
• Man paints Underwear on Rocks to Protest Nudity Censorship - Mashable, 2015
• Malen statt zahlen - Zeit Magazin, 2015 (in german)
• Brasileiro em Frankfurt faz Arte em Moedas - Deutsche Welle, 2015 (in portuguese)
• Interview with the creator of Tales You Lose - Gazduna, 2013
• BlümchenSex (2016, Frankfurt, Germany)
• Blooom International Art Fair (2015, Cologne, Germany)
• Cook Pass Babtridge (2015, Moosey Art, Norwich, UK)
• Intersubjective (2015, Go Gallery, Amsterdam, Netherlands)
• 4x4 (2014, Hashtag Gallery, Toronto, Canada)
• It has Character (2014, Preview Gallery, London, UK)
• Art in My Mouth 2 (2014, Stew Gallery, Norwich, UK)
• Parazita Kusok 5 - Peace (Russia, 2017)
• Blackstreets Magazine #2 (Germany, 2016)
• Revista Mine (Spain, 2016)
• ZEITMagazin (Germany, 2015)
• VNA Magazine (UK, 2015)
• Blackstreets Magazine (Germany, 2015)
• Forbes (Spain, 2015)
• Vogue Gioiello (Italy, 2014)
• UC Quarterly (USA, 2013)
• Project “Tales You Lose” featured on many international newspapers, magazines and specialised blogs. (2013-2016)
• Logo selected for the book Los Logos 4 (Gestalten, Germany, 2008)
Honors & Awards
• Mazda Belgium: Selected artist for collaborative designer car #MusketonMazda 2016
• Fanta: Illustration selected as one of the 75th Anniversary Commemorative Packages in Germany.
• Deutsche Bahn Karriereportal: Best Career Portal - Employer Branding Awards 2014.
• Deutsche Bahn Employer Branding Campaign: Silver - Effie Awards 2013.
• Zurich "Welcome Home" Home Button Takeover: Silver - Annual Multimedia Awards 2013, Bronze - Caples Awards 2012, Shortlist - Ame Awards 2013.
• "Loser" Mobile Loop Animation: Shortlist - AnimaMundi 2008.
• Nissin Lámen "The Hotter the Better": Shortlist - Cannes Festival 2008.
• Hellmann's "Crazy About Ketchup": Gold - Premio About 2008, Silver - ABEMD 2008, Bronze - NY Festival 2007, Bronze - Sinos Festival 2007, Shortlist - Cannes Festival 2007, Shortlist - One Show 2007.
Nescafé, Coca-Cola, Vogue Gioiello, Ogilvy&Mather, Dolce Gusto, Kia Motors, Herren der Schöpfung, Donna Magazin, O2 Germany, Mazda Belgium, GGH MullenLowe, ING-DiBa, Allianz, Deutsche Bahn, Zurich Insurances, Sony Electronics, Nestlé Foods Brasil, Unilever, Tam Airlines, Mitsubishi Motors, Accor Hotels, Kraft Foods.
Follow on Instagram:
Andre Levy a.k.a. Zhion is a Brazilian illustrator, art director and visual artist based in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. With over 10 years experience in advertising and communication design, he combines a peculiar bizarre-cute style with visual simplicity, always aiming for iconic ways to convey messages.
As a visual artist, his works are often provocative, approaching themes such as sexuality, gender, religion and social relations with a bold point of view. His main motivation is to encourage questioning and critic thinking towards stablished concepts. Pop and urban art movements are some of his biggest aesthetic influences and can be easily identified within his imagery and media choices.
Zhion is mostly known for his project Tales You Lose, in which he paints famous characters from pop culture over the faces of kings and presidents on coins.