What makes some cents more valuable than others are the stories they carry. Sometimes they are just not yet to be seen. Those are the Tales You Lose.
We are constantly surrounded by pop figures – in films, in music, comics, and even in gossip magazines. They are our escape from reality, our fantasies. Coins portray something opposite: the real, the everyday.
This project is a series of more than 200 pop character portraits on coins, and point the spotlight toward individual expression in opposition to massified thinking. The paint brings to the faces of kings and presidents borrowed narratives from other famous characters and unleash individual alternative stories.
• Recovered (2018, Miss Tula Trash’s Trashland, Frankfurt, Germany)
• Cook Pass Babtridge (2015, Moosey Art, Norwich, UK)
• Art in My Mouth 2 (2014, Stew Gallery, Norwich, UK)
• Katz, Eva - Think Small (Chronicle Books, 2018)
• ZEITMagazin (Germany, 2015)
• Forbes (Spain, 2015)
• UC Quarterly (USA, 2013)
• Revista Mine (Spain, 2016)
• and on many international newspapers, magazines and specialised blogs. (2013-2015)
Interviews and Online Articles
• Savvy Miniaturist Mints Pop Culture Portraits on Coins - Hyperallergic, 2014
• Malen statt zahlen - Zeit Magazin, 2015 (in german)
• Brasileiro em Frankfurt faz Arte em Moedas - Deutsche Welle, 2015 (in portuguese)
• Interview with the creator of Tales You Lose - Gazduna, 2013
Available on the shop:
Andre Levy a.k.a. Zhion is a Brazilian illustrator, art director and visual artist based in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. With over 10 years experience in advertising and communication design, he combines a peculiar bizarre-cute style with visual simplicity, always aiming for iconic ways to convey messages.
As a visual artist, his works are often provocative, approaching themes such as sexuality, gender, religion and social relations with a bold point of view. His main motivation is to encourage questioning and critic thinking towards stablished concepts. Pop and urban art movements are some of his biggest aesthetic influences and can be easily identified within his imagery and media choices.
Zhion is mostly known for his project Tales You Lose, in which he paints famous characters from pop culture over the faces of kings and presidents on coins.